Common Yellowthroat / Karen Brown / Audubon Photography Awards
Make a difference for birds!
Donations from our community help Seattle Audubon advocate and organize for cities where people and birds thrive. We envision cities that integrate and value nature, minimize threats to birds, and protect habitat. Seattle Audubon’s urban conservation, environmental education, and community science programs are sustained through the generosity of our community of thousands of bird advocates.
There are many ways you can protect our local feathered friends with your financial gift. All donations of $49 or more qualify for an annual household membership to Seattle Audubon, your local Audubon chapter and independent nonprofit organization.
Support local conservation efforts in your local community with your gift. Our programs are designed to connect people with birds, and take steps to advocate for their protection.
You and your entire household can become Seattle Audubon members for a gift of $49 or more annually. All members receive exclusive benefits including discounts and special event invitations.
Stretch your support with an automatic monthly gift. Recurring gifts are an easy way to provide reliable and sustainable resources to fund our programs.
Special Events & Giving Days
Seattle Audubon Society regularly hosts engaging events around the Seattle area to fund our mission and programs which support it. Mark your calendars for our largest event fundraisers: Birdathon, held in May, GiveBIG on May 2-3, 2023, and #GivingTuesday on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.
Tribute, Memorial, and Gift Memberships
Make a special gift for someone you know who shares Seattle Audubon’s passion to protect local birds and habitat.
- A Gift Membership can be purchased for a new or returning member. Contact our Member Services Assistant to see when their membership is up for renewal.
- Tribute or Memorial Gifts honor someone’s deep commitment to local birds. Tribute and Memorial Gifts can be made in any size and you can choose to send an e-card or card in the mail. If your gift is $500 or more it is eligible for a custom engraved feather on display at the Seattle Audubon Nature Shop as part of the beautiful art installation, Feathers for the Future, created by local artist Stuart Nakamura.
Legacy Circle: Planned Giving
Create a lasting legacy of environmental stewardship through a planned gift or bequest to Seattle Audubon. By including Seattle Audubon in your will or estate plans you are ensuring that local birds, other wildlife, and habitat are protected for future generations. Visit our Legacy Circle page for more information.
Other Ways to Give
Donor Advised Funds
A donor-advised fund, or DAF, is an investment account for the sole purpose of supporting charitable organizations, like Seattle Audubon. You can contribute cash, securities, or other assets to your DAF, and receive an immediate tax deduction. Those funds can grow tax-free, and you can contibute to qualifying nonprofit organizations at any time.
Donations made to Seattle Audubon from your DAF can be used to pay your annual membership dues.
IRA or Retirement Fund Gifts (QCD)
If you are over the age of 70 ½ you may be eligible to make a qualified charitable distribution (also known as an IRA withdrawal or IRA Charitable Rollover gift) that is paid directly from your IRA to Seattle Audubon. In this circumstance you do not need to pay taxes on the gift to Seattle Audubon and it also helps to satisfy the annual minimum distribution requirement. Contact your investment portfolio manager to learn more.
General Qualified Chaitable Distributions (QCD) information:
- Money is transferred directly from your IRA account to Seattle Audubon (Tax ID: 91-6009716).
- Donors must be 70 1/2 to make this type of donation.
- Donors may give up to $100,000 annually, tax free
- Donors are required to give a minimum from their IRA annually, and QCD’s count towards this minimum requirement.
Gifts of Stock
Seattle Audubon gratefully welcomes gifts of stock and other publicly traded or marketable securities such as mutual fund shares and options. Please contact the Development Director for more information.
Vehicle, RV, Boat, or Motorcycle Donation
Have an old vehicle taking up space in your driveway or garage? CARS makes donating your vehicle (working or not) to Seattle Audubon easy. Proceeds from your vehicle donation will help save local birds. Get started today in three easy steps:
- Visit CarEasy.org or call 855-500-7433 to notify CARS and Seattle Audubon of your donation.
- CARS will tow your working or non-working vehicle at no cost to you.
- You will receive a donation receipt and Seattle Audubon will receive the proceeds to immediately put to work to save birds.
Business owner? Align your community involvement efforts with one of the Seattle area’s oldest and most effective conservation organizations. Demonstrate your company’s commitment to the environmental health of the community in which we live, work and play. Contact our Development Director to learn more about corporate opportunities.
Seattle Audubon’s current Corporate Partners:
Special thanks to Zeiss for supporting our community engagement efforts with their support.
Seattle Audubon happily accepts items purchased from our Wish List year round!
For other items, such as vehicle or property donations, please contact the Development Director to see if you donation falls within our gift acceptance guidelines. Unfortunately, we are not usually able to accept gifts of art or large collections of books.
2021-22 Honor Roll
A big thank you to our July 1, 2021 – June, 30 2022 Bird Heroes. These donors, volunteers, members, staff, and board, are helping us soar through their generosity. Our 2021-22 Honor Roll lists all of these generous supporters.