Great Blue Herons / Mick Thompson / Eastside Audubon Society
The Rookery is our membership created especially for youth and children.
The Rookery offers fun, meaningful opportunities for youth (age 3-17 years old) and their families who are interested in learning about and protecting birds and their habitats.
Rookery members receive:
- The Rookery bi-monthly newsletter with kid-centered content and activities
- Access to our Young Birders teen program
- If your family has a Household membership, you are elidgable for all of our member benefits. Click here to learn more!
Join the Rookery as a member!
Do you have a child who would be interested in joining the Rookery? All children of current Seattle Audubon members are automatically eligible for Rookery membership! Simply email our Development Assistant and provide your child’s name and birthdate. To renew your household membership, or to purchase a Rookery-only membership for just $10, click here.
Ways to enjoy your Rookery Membership:
Teens insterested in birds and nature are encouraged to learn more about:
- Young Birders is our after school program just for teens, which includes a monthly meeting, field trips, and exposure to career paths in the field of conservation.
- Junior Naturalist for summer Nature Camp
- Seattle Audubon volunteer opportunities including bird counts for science, staffing our Nature Shop, and more. We offer service learning opportunities for teens.
For children, we offer a number of programs and at-home resources to spark interest and have fun with learning. We encourage children to explore these options:
- Nature Camp summer camp
- Downloadable resources including youth field guides, BINGO, and coloring sheets
- Fledglings and Friends Story Time for preschool and Kindergarten age
- Education Kits can be rented through Seattle Audubon for classrooms, daycares, and other child gatherings.
Get the whole family involved by participating in a program that all ages can enjoy. Check out these option for some multi-generational fun:
- Neighborhood Bird Outings: a walk through a greenspace near you led by a knowledgable Seattle Audubon volunteer.
- Birdathon: count birds to save birds with this annual FUNdraiser. The Outside Observer option is great for families.
- Christmas Bird Count feeder watch, or other community science program.
The Rookery Newsletter
Our Rookery members receive an email copy of our child-focused newsletter every other month. Here are some of our most recent issues to share with your young bird enthusiast:
Are you a current Rookery member, or current Household member but aren’t receiving the Rookery Newsletter? Let us know by emailing our Development Assistant.